Bored with the long list of rom coms that spout sugar and spice and all things nice? How often do we come across stories that make you question society, humanity or even yourself? Over the years, makers have come all the way from just pinning down fictional characters to bringing hard-hitting stories to the forefront. They have thrown limelight on the truth of the society and humanity in ways that attract the audience and make them wonder.
So, for those who are in the mood for something that’ll lead to a meaningful discussion, here are 5 shows that really make an impact:
- Mirzapur – A series that highly depicts the putrescence, governance and rule of mafia dons prevailing in the Purvanchal region in Uttar Pradesh. This 9-episodic series centers on the fight to gain control over Mirzapur’s dark underbelly, which is a heady cocktail of drugs, arms, politics and compromised law enforcement. Mirzapur succeeds to bring out the reality about the place, infamous for violence — both of the communal and physical kind
- Madhuri Talkies – Madhuri Talkies is a hard-hitting tale of a young man Manish, who sets out on a bloody rampage in Banaras to avenge his love, Puneeta who was violated by a gang of power-hungry men who ruled that small town city. The power of an individual shines through in this bone chilling neo-noir and raises an important question – is justice delayed, justice denied? This web series tackles heinous crimes committed against women and highlights why there seems to be a growing need to take matters into our hands. Stream the show now, exclusively on MX Player, for FREE.
- The Family Man – A story of a common man – Srikant Tiwari portrayed by Manoj Bajpayee, a middle class man who also serves as a world class spy tries to maintain balance at work and his personal life. An action thriller series that talks about the breach of National Security and the threats to the country
- Leila -Leila, adapted from Prayaag Akbar’s eponymous novel, is a dark and ominous tale set in the fictional world of Aryavarta, where a leader’s motto delves on ‘peace by segregation’ while clean water and air become luxury. In Leila, the journey of its protagonist Shalini, echoes the social deafness of most privileged men and women in India. Heaps of garbage, toxic air, lack of water, religious divide… there’s a lot more that the show touches upon, apart from having a mother’s search for her daughter, at the core of the story. The dystopian world of Deepa Mehta’s Leila is not a subliminal, but a blunt reminder of the world that could be in reality
- Delhi Crime – How can we miss out on a show that highlights the most heinous crime that the Nation has witnessed? ‘Delhi Crime’, a series that traces the unfortunate incident of a Delhi gang rape and follows the investigation after. A spine-chilling series which is highly eruptive in visuals and dialogues makes you want to cringe. Helmed by Shefali Shah as the Police Inspector, she justifies her role to the fullest